Can I receive workers’ compensation for disfigurement?

Yes, you can. Massachusetts law allows individuals who have been disfigured by a workplace injury or illness to recover a one-time payment. However, in order to recover compensation for this injury, the worker must show that he or she has suffered disfigurement or scarring to his or her hands, neck, or face. The recoverable amount is dependent upon the severity of the scarring or disfigurement. Additionally, it is important to note that this recovery in independent from any recovery for medical expenses and/or lost wages.

Workers who have been injured in a workplace accident can also recover compensation if they can show that they have suffered permanent loss of certain bodily functions. This often includes the loss to control bodily fluids. Again, recovering for this type of harm comes in the form of a one-time payment.

Those who have been injured on the job may find it difficult to recover workers’ compensation. In fact, all too often, initial claims are denied. When this happens, injured workers should consider consulting an experienced Massachusetts attorney who will fight for their rights.

A competent workers’ compensation attorney will know how best to show that a worker suffered an injury, disfigurement, and/or the permanent loss of bodily functions. It may require medical documentation and witness accounts, all of which can be used as part of a legal strategy. With such an ally by your side, you might stand a better chance at recovering the compensation you need and deserve to move past the accident and get on with your life.

Source: The Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development, “Permanent Loss of Function and Disfigurement Benefits,” accessed on Oct. 5, 2014


FindLaw Network