How can I prove pain and suffering after a car crash?

When Massachusetts’s residents leave their homes in their vehicles each morning, the last thing they think may happen to them is getting involved in an accident. Many believe if they are careful drivers, adhering to traffic rules, there is little to no chance of being involved in a crash. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. It is not possible to control someone else’s behavior on the road, and often, someone else’s negligence causes a crash that suddenly leaves a healthy person seriously injured.

When a car accident is caused by someone else’s negligence, it may be possible to hold them accountable in a civil suit, helping a victim recover compensation to cover the medical expenses associated with the incident. Hospital bills and property damages are easy to calculate because one can easily get a quote from a car repair shop or a bill from the hospital. But those who have been in an accident know that the physical injuries are just one aspect. There is an emotional aspect to the recovery, which is often even more damaging. The physical scars heal but the emotional ones can often take longer.

What is meant by pain and suffering? It refers to the physical, emotional and mental distress that an accident victim has to deal with after a car crash. It stems from embarrassment, deformity or scarring. The problem with compensation related to pain and suffering is that it can be difficult to establish or put a dollar amount to it. It is highly subjective and there are little guidelines on how to prove it. Among other things, courts do consider the severity, location and nature of the accident and disfigurement, ongoing consequences and the amount of time needed for recovery.

When an accident victim is trying to come to terms with how their life has changed in an instant, dealing with these legalities can be overwhelming, especially since there aren’t always set standards for establishing pain and suffering. It may be beneficial to consult an experienced attorney who can help accident victims get the compensation they deserve.


FindLaw Network